Sun Salutation is the foundation of any Vinyasa Style Flow Yoga. Doing a few rounds of this sequence at any time of day creates a tremendous amount of upward energy in the body thereby releasing stagnant energy and bringing balance into the body and mind. By acknowledging whatever comes up for you during your practice, you become better prepared to let go of the things that no longer serve you. You....and only you have the power to shift your perspective.
This moving meditation is comprised of 12 poses.
1. Standing tall with hands resting at heart center.
2. Reaching over-head with both arms to lengthen the spine.
3. Forward Folding to reach down to toes
4. A half lift, to extend the head forward from hips
5. Stepping back to Plank
6. Gently lower to the mat in Low Plank
7. Pressing into the hands and lifting the heart from the grounding of the hips into Cobra or Upward Facing Dog.
8. Pressing back into Down Dog, Puppy or Child's Pose.
9. Stepping back up to the front of the mat to complete another half-lift.
10. Forward Folding once more
11. Reaching back up to Mountain Pose with arms over-head
12. Bringing the hands back together to rest at the heart.
Modifications can be learned for each of the 12 poses in this sequence, thereby removing obstacles, improving alignment and providing gentle alternatives that bring balance into the body and mind no matter how you arrive to your mat that day.
Simply completing one set of Sun Salutations floods the nervous system with solar energy, both balancing emotions and increasing higher cerebral activity. And regular practice of Sun Salutation improves the functions of the heart, liver, intestines, stomach, chest, throat, and legs – basically, the whole body. The process purifies the blood and improves circulation throughout the system, ensuring proper functioning of the stomach, bowel, and nerve centers.
If you are new to Vinyasa, this is a great place to start. You will learn all the tools and modifications necessary to participate in a Vinyasa Flow Class. If you are more experienced, you can use this time to form a deeper connection to yourself becoming one step closer to embodying your intentions and uncovering the ultimate purpose in your life. Surrender to your breath throughout this moving meditation and allow your inner intuition to guide you throughout the sequence.
Invite the light back into your life! Sign up for this class on Sunday, March 20th at 10:30 am to Celebrate The Spring Equinox - The Official Arrival Of Spring.